Favorite 5-Syllable Word:
What I’m good at: Painting pictures with words, clarifying concepts, finding the story in the everyday world.
What I really do: Draw people into a story. Make people laugh. I can talk about food all day, and I’m fascinated by cocktail culture. For me, history is three-dimensional, not something that happened long ago to strange people. I like tiny plants and flowers in unusual but not fake colors.
How I give back: Member and board member of Gulf Coast Blessings, an interdenominational group of Coast women. We have presented several nationally known speakers at women’s events, plus each Christmas we deliver approved toiletries to prisoners across the Coast.
Brands I’ve helped: American Shrimp Processors Association, White House Hotel, Tradition, Mississippi State Port at Gulfport, Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport, Margaritaville Biloxi, Woodland Village Nursing Center, Leakesville Nursing and Rehabilitation, Stone County Nursing and Rehabilitation, Stone County Hospital, Kids and Tummies
All-Time Favorite Saying
“And though she be but little, she is fierce.”
(Shakespeare, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” Act 3, Scene 2)
- Received several writing, design and editing awards from the Mississippi Press Association.
- Member of the Sun Herald staff receiving the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service in 2006.
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Southern Mississippi
- Master of Library Science, University of Southern Mississippi
- Award-winning writer in online marketing and in both print and online media
- More than 30 years of experience in writing for a wide audience
- Experience in social media marketing, blog writing, research and developing long-term strategies
- Former writer and editor at the Sun Herald newspaper, Gulfport, Miss. At the Sun Herald, was food/drink and retail reporter, assistant features editor/features lead reporter, home and garden editor, wire editor and copy editor and page designer.
- Former co-features editor at The Commercial Dispatch, Columbus, Miss.
- Member of team receiving multiple awards from the Mississippi Gulf Coast chapter of the American Advertising Federation. Recipient of multiple writing and editing awards from the Mississippi Press Association and the Louisiana-Mississippi AP Awards.