Director of Digital Strategy
What I’m good at: Social Media, Digital Advertising, Public Speaking.
What I really do: I tell all different types of stories through new and emerging mediums.
Degrees I’ve earned: Masters of Arts in Mass Communication from the University of South Mississippi.
How I give back: I’m a board member of PRAM, United Way, Gulfport Youth Sports Association as well as a T-ball coach. I also talk to schools about the dangers of social media.
All-time favorite saying: “The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.” — Mark Twain.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, The University of Southern Mississippi
- Master of Arts in Mass Communications, The University of Southern Mississippi. Thesis, The Viral Fingerprint: A Content Analysis Of Popular Viral Advertisements.
- With The Focus Group since 2012, Thomas has more than 16 years experience in digital platforms, digital media, social media, including organic and paid strategies, tactics and targeted ad placement.
- Thomas strategically plans and implements content schedules and digital advertising strategies for a variety of clients, to include web, digital display networks, social platforms, blogs, video and electronic newsletters.
- He has developed and implemented award-winning digital advertising and social media strategies for the Mississippi Hospitality and Restaurant Association, American Shrimp Processors Association and many other clients. The common thread between all of our award winners is understanding how to communicate to a digital audience.
- He believes in being responsive and understands the immediacy that makes social media in particular an indispensable communication tool.
- An accomplished and highly regarded public speaker and trainer on social and digital media strategies, having been a featured speaker for the Mississippi Hospital Association, Mississippi Economic Development Council, the Gulf Coast Chamber of Commerce, the Metro Jackson Attractions Association, the Electric Power Associations of Mississippi and Mississippi Tourism Association, Southern Public Relations Federation, and many local civic and community organizations.
- Prior to The Focus Group, in 2005 Thomas became the web administrator for Mississippi Public Broadcasting and joined the agency’s public relations and communications department where he implemented initiatives across mpbonline.org that resulted in significant traffic gains and increased MPB’s online brand.
- Thomas accomplished this by being adept with current and emerging social platforms including YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and more. In 2009 he was selected to speak at the innovative SXSW Interactive festival as an authority on digital communications and from 2011 to 2012, Thomas hosted a weekly radio segment on MPB’s statewide network titled “Everyday Technology,” where every Monday he would discuss technology’s latest trends and breaking news on air with Kevin Farrell.
- Later in 2012 Thomas was elected chair of the prestigious PBS Station Advisory Council and participated in the Mobile Working Group that helped inform the PBS mobile strategy across PBS Kids, PBS national productions and the PBS iPad and iPhone apps.
- 5 Years at The Focus Group